For Mother’s Day this year I decided to make my mom a sewing machine cover. She’s been using a clear plastic one for years that just really doesn’t add any beauty to her sewing area. ;) It just seemed like the perfect gift.
There are all sorts of sewing machine cover patterns out there but I chose Butterick 5368. You could also probably find a great tutorial online. This pattern for a sewing machine cover uses batting and is lined. In my opinion it gave the project a nice tailored look. It also used bias tape which I LOVE. (It scared me a lot at first and it was a little tricky at first to use but now I’m pretty much a big fan of the stuff.) I had only purchased 1 yard of the main fabric so I ended up using an old blue sheet for the lining.
As far as the sewing goes this project took much longer than I had anticipated. I guess that is due to the tricky nature of working with batting and bias tape. I also found some of the basting steps to be a bit time-consuming and wondered if they really were necessary. Once again I thought it was a little tricky to place 1/2 inch wide bias tape over two layers of fabric and batting.
One thing I really disliked about the pattern was the fact that the cover does not fit my mom’s machine if she has the tray on her machine. Major bummer. I should have measured the machine and thought about if the pattern would fit around the base of the machine. If I use this pattern again I will definitely add a couple of inches (2-3) around the base. Overall I was fairly pleased with how the project turned out but wish that I had made the base larger.