I’m not sure what I was thinking when I decided to sew Elijah a dinosaur costume. I definitely WASN’T thinking about the 80 steps involved! I ended up skipping a few but there were 70 steps to this project no joke! This was my first attempt at sewing a costume and I think I probably should have settled for a superhero cape and mask like my friend Erin made.
I won’t lie. This project was LONG. Just cutting out all of the pieces took 2 1/2 hours! I should have known then this project would take forever. ;) I seriously considered giving up and scrapping this project but I persevered. Elijah was giddy with excitement over the prospect of his costume. He would sit and watch me sew for what seemed like forever. Periodically he would come into the sewing room and ask if he could try it on. ;) It did take all of my free time for 3 days straight but I finished it. The face below made it all worth it!
I sewed view B in a size 3. The measurements on the envelope are not helpful at all. My son is 37″ tall and this costume was really big on him. (He wears size 3t ready-made clothing.) As far as the actual sewing goes I did make a few slight changes. I did not line the hood. I don’t know why in the world you would want to line it. This saved nearly 10 steps. Hooray! :)
The seam allowance varies from 3/8 to 5/8 so be careful to sew accordingly. I had a really hard time adding elastic in step 22 to the wrists so I omitted it for the time being. The hands seemed to stay on well despite this. I do wish that the tail was removable as it is pretty heavy. (I don’t know if I would make this for a young toddler as it may be difficult to walk in.) I also followed the applique instructions to a T but the eyes and nose kept coming off so I ended up hot gluing them to the costume.
I don’t know if I would say this was a fun project-it was really long and awkward to sew at times with that big old tail! The result was very nice. Eli has really enjoyed wearing it around the house and has perfected a very loud ROAR!!!